Deu 33:24 Thy shoes shall be iron and brass; and as thy days, so shall thy strength be. There is none like unto the God of Jeshurun, WHO RIDETH UPON THE HEAVEN IN THY HELP, AND IN HIS EXCELLENCY ON THE SKY.
God is our defender ready to go to BATTLE on behalf of those who are upright and trust Him! This is a symbol of WAR!
We never raise your arms in surrender, because we know who is on our side!
WHAT WAR? We’re at peace!
THE MOST IMPORTANT fight on planet earth is a fight for FAITH, the battle to prove the promises and faithfulness of God!
Faith is a verb! Because it is active, constantly alive, it is being met by opposing forces in this world. Faith is never at rest on this earth–“there is no discharge, [furlough, recess, sabbatical, vacation] in this war.”
Faith begins its life with persuasion and CONTINUES with action. This is how “the just live by faith: from faith as a source, to faith as a destination”. (Rom. 1:17) Faith is our road map, the precious cargo, without which the journey and destination are not only impossible, but invisible. The prize, the hope, the resurrection to life is never lost sight of, especially as we don’t know when our tour of duty will be over.
The Clear Path Marked
The testimony, life, death and resurrection of the human being Jesus, changed everything on planet earth. Being persuaded of this fact overcomes the pressure, the assault from the world on the mind and affections to love and trust worthless, temporal decaying earthly things.
1Jn 5:4 For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith. Who is he that overcometh the world, but he that believeth (trust, to be persuaded) that Jesus is the Son of God?
Eph 6:10 Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might. Put on the whole armor of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places. Wherefore take unto you the whole armor of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand…
Luk 22:31 And the Lord said, Simon, Simon, behold, Satan hath desired to have you, that he may sift you as wheat: But I have prayed for thee, that thy FAITH fail not: and when thou art converted (turn back), strengthen thy brethren.
The GREATEST fight on planet earth is a fight for FAITH, keeping in focus the things God has revealed in his word! GOD (the LORD of Hosts) IS Our Helper and Defender!
It is a puzzle that many people who attend very strict (legalistic) religious churches which tightly control behavior (women can’t wear makeup, pants, large number of rituals like scheduled daily prayer, strict diets, no television, etc.,) ultimately abandon religion completely for secular culture, suffer inward depression, are strongly drawn to perverse secret behavior. They are forced to change their definition of sin to include their worldly practices and allow for a clear conscious.
The cause of this contradiction between religious profession and worldly practice is: the legalist focuses on the flesh and works, while the Spirit of the gospel focuses on change in the heart through focus on Christ. We see legalism in OT Israel who under the law became worse idolaters than the pagans whose religion they adopted because they didn’t love the LORD. (2Chron. 33:2, 9)
Compare: Col. 2:23, “which are indeed having a reputation of wisdom in self-imposed religion and [false] humility and severe discipline [or, non-indulgence] of [the] body, [but which are] not of any value against indulgence of the flesh.”
Excerpt from my upcoming book on Romans 6 in the Overkill series:
Rom 6:14, For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace.
Interpretation: Now this is a statement that stumps many students and bible teachers. What does the law have to do with sins dominion over us? How does not being under the law free us completely from Sin’s dominion? (This is impossible to understand if you interpret sin in this passage as a indwelling principal, sinful nature, which abides with us all, until we get to heaven.)
*Paul will develop our relationship with law more fully in the next chapter (7) but for now; two facts:
1. The law aroused sin. Consequently no law, no sin or no awareness of sin. With awareness comes prominence. (Rom.7:7-9) The more we are aware of a thing the greater its impact on our lives. More law equals more sin, More Jesus equals more fruit (J0hn 15)…”
Elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through sanctification of the Spirit, unto obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ: Grace unto you, and peace, be multiplied. Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, To an inheritance incorruptible, and undefiled, and that fadeth not away, reserved in heaven for you, Who are kept by the power of God through faith unto salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.1 Peter 1:2-5 KJ
That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ: Receiving the end of your faith, even the salvation of your souls. –1 Peter 1:7, 9 KJV
Deu 5:11 Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain: for the LORD will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.
This warning is often taken to mean “do not use/speak the name of God by swearing”. Vain then means to curse or swear disrespectfully.
The context however is the Covenant between the Lord their God and the children of Israel. In that covenant they pledged by oath to TAKE that covenant between themselves (to be literally married), OBEY His commands, and worship Him; and in turn the Lord would bless them like no other people on earth.
To take his name in vain simply means to call themselves God’s people but not obey him or keep their part of the Covenant. VAIN means FALSELY. It’s hypocrisy, it’s a lie.
Here is the NT equivalent spoken of professing Christians:
2Ti 3:1ff This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come. For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good, Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God; Having a FORM OF GODLINESS, but DENYING THE POWER THEREOF (vain/fruitless): from such turn away.
The command to Love for the husband is from a leadership position. For the wife it is from a supportive position.
Why aren’t wives specifically instructed to love their husbands in the same way husbands are instructed love their wives? Wives are however instructed to submit to their husbands?
- The Bible is concerned with truth, and what is primary and important. It is concerned with building a solid foundation and structure in a fractured world with wayward humans. So it addresses the positive essentials, the fundamentals, and the negative dangers.
- The truth is, submission to God is a demonstration of love: Jesus said “if you love me obey my commandments.” So, the focus for the wife is on the critical aspect of love necessary for a strong union between her and the man God tied together with her. That critical labor of love is submission. “In like manner, you married women, be submissive to your own husbands [subordinate yourselves as being secondary to and dependent on them, and adapt yourselves to them], so that even if any do not obey the Word [of God], they may be won over not by discussion but by the [godly] lives of their wives, When they observe the pure and modest way in which you conduct yourselves, together with your reverence [for your husband; you are to feel for him all that reverence includes: to respect, defer to, revere him–to honor, esteem, appreciate, prize, and, in the human sense, to adore him, that is, to admire, praise, be devoted to, deeply love, and enjoy your husband]. –1 Peter 3:1-2 AMPC. So submission to your husband in love to God is equal to loving your husband.
- Why was Peter led to say “IN LIKE MANNER, YOU WIVES…” Like what? Answer: a. Like he has just described in the previous paragraphs (Read previous chapter): like the Christians submission to the gospel (contrasted with the world’s rejection of it.) b. Like servants subjection to their masters out of submission to God’s providence in their lives. c. Like Christ’s submission to suffering to save his lost sheep.
- The Spirit gives Paul the very same instructions for the married: “Submitting yourselves one to another in the fear of God. Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body. Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in every thing. Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it; That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word, So ought men to love their wives as their own bodies. He that loveth his wife loveth himself. For no man ever yet hated his own flesh; but nourisheth and cherisheth it, even as the Lord the church:” –Ephesians 5:21-26, 28-29 KJV
- The husband’s love, care, protection, nourishment, honor, cherishing, of His his wife, demonstrates submission to and love for God. But, the focus is on care and sacrifice, which is the critical aspect of love necessary for a strong union with the woman God has tied him to. Love in all leadership is demonstrated by CARE, NOURISHMENT, PREFERENTIAL TREATMENT: “So when they had dined, Jesus saith to Simon Peter, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me more than these? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love thee. He saith unto him, Feed my lambs. He saith to him again the second time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love thee. He saith unto him, Feed my sheep. He saith unto him the third time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me? Peter was grieved because he said unto him the third time, Lovest thou me? And he said unto him, Lord, thou knowest all things; thou knowest that I love thee. Jesus saith unto him, Feed my sheep. –John 21:15-17 KJV
Notice that love to Jesus must be given to others: his sheep who need care and nourishment. This was to be Peter’s PRIMARY FOCUS from that day forward. His leadership would be a position defined by love and care for those the Lord desires to care for.
God’s Love Flooding The Core Of My Soul.
…And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Spirit which is given unto us. —Rom. 5:5
- Hope: Is the SURE EXPECTATION of the final glory, promised by God to the faithful. HOPE is the structure left standing after we have overcome all of the necessary trials which purify our faith.
- It’s the final stage in the 4 stage construction project of The Glory of God. (tribulation, patience, endurance, hope.)
- The monumental structure of CERTAIN HOPE in turn fortifies us, banishing any sense of inadequacy. Because the victory through the trails is proof of God’s love for me. He has lavishly poured out his love in the core of our being, through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us who believe.
- Our unshakable belief and the circumstances surrounding its creation, prove the presence of the Holy Spirit and love of God for us.
So I’m sitting down with a fellow teacher who has a title in front of his name. He’s trying to convince me to accept and obey his point of view. (He doesn’t know how long I’ve been studying the Bible. It happens to be longer than him.) But I take it he assumes his “position” puts everyone else in a submissive posture and an open head. Don’t get me wrong, I’m hoping for some nuggets of truth I can add to my file of knowledge and beliefs—that’s why we were having this conversation:-)
The Open Mind
The LAST thing you want is an “open mind”. (The kind brain washers love.) As students we must learn from experts/authorities. We should be EAGER to learn valuable new information and take instructions. However, all information and instructions must be filtered by The Word of God if you are a Christian.
The danger is to accept the “title”, “position”, or “reputation” of the would-be teacher as proof of the accuracy of their teachings and instructions. “This is Pastor, Dr. So and So, so whatever he tells me I will believe and do.”
The Closed Mind
The truth is: Let no one pour information into your brain without consulting God Almighty to confirm this man/woman has been taught by The Master Teacher Himself. (1Tim. 3:16)
Eagerness to learn, but not an open mind. The mind is closed until God’s truth fills it. Check with God before you let some teacher or expert fill your head with what they claim to be right.
Even the Apostles had to pass this test!
These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so. -Act 17:11
The Multitude of Counselors
If you are still have doubts consult more authorities from diverse positions. Don’t consult the questionable teacher’s students or partners. I would examine those who are likely to differ and weigh all of their interpretations and teachings.
Pro 11:14 Where no counsel is, the people fall: but in the multitude of counselors there is safety.
Deu 33:24 And of Asher he said…Thy shoes shall be iron and brass; and as thy days, so shall thy strength be. There is none like unto the God of Jeshurun, who rideth upon the heaven in thy help, and in his excellency on the sky. The eternal God is thy refuge, and underneath are the everlasting arms: and he shall thrust out the enemy from before thee…
Deu 33:25 …Thy shoes shall be iron and brass…
This is—of course—one of scriptures many metaphors, designed to stamp a clear picture on the mind of truth about God, this life, and true religion.
Shoes are for walking the journey, and the road or terrain is treacherous and difficult. (If you don’t believe me, study the patriarchs and prophets in the Bible, Jesus, the apostles, Hebrews 11 & 12, Rev. 1-3…).
Therefore suitable shoes are provided by the Lord for the purpose of finishing the journey.
IRON/BRASS: definition: 3) Harshness, STRENGTH, oppression (figuratively: Used both negatively and positively in scripture.)
These shoes remain STRONG and LAST through harsh and oppressive terrain.
FACT: The road/path is prepared by God. (“the steps of a good man are ordered of the Lord…”)
This point is VERY IMPORTANT, because instead of being patient and strong, we will be tempted to fret and complain if we believe something or someone else is responsible for the rough road we are experiencing! False prophets teach the opposite of this truth, and keep their followers discontent and unhappy on a difficult road—“God wants you to be successful and comfortable”, is their lie…“Keep writing those checks and you will be like me:-S”
Friends, the Bible hasn’t lied to us. In the first 6 chapters we are told what has become of life on planet earth, and that judgment will be coming. But not before God saves a people for Himself from destruction.
REACHING THE DESTINATION WITH YOUR SOUL AND FAITH INTACT IS WHAT COUNTS!
Luk 22:31 And the Lord said, Simon, Simon, behold, Satan hath desired to have you, that he may sift you as wheat: But I have prayed for thee, that thy faith fail not: and when thou art converted, strengthen thy brethren.
Simon, Simon, behold, Satan by asking obtained you and your fellow disciples for himself and from my power to his, in order that he may shake you in a sieve as grain is sifted, by an inward agitation, trying your faith to the verge of overthrow. But as for myself, I made petition concerning you that your faith should not be totally eclipsed. And as for you, when you have returned to your original position with respect to your faith, stabilize your brethren.—Lk. 22:31
Rev 3:5 He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels. He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches.
AT NO TIME in the process of maturity does the tree become independent of the information and instructions the seed provides. In fact, new, correct, and true, information is necessary from the sun, rain, soil and even the bees–all coordinated for the benefit of the tree by the masterful instructions in the seed. Now the parable is this: